Ooh, the bear! He was the most difficult of the pieces by far, in every way imaginable. First the problems with browns I described in a previous post about the rabbit, which I ended up solving by using acrylic washes instead of ink ones to start with, to get better shades of brown. Then just the problems of his overlapping fur, which took a lot of time to get right at every stage. And finally this was the most accident prone piece, I poured a whole bottle of burnt sienna over a drawing with ink lines I had just finished. Somehow it managed not to actually soil any other pieces lying around on the table though, so I guess I should really thank my lucky stars for that one!
I did a lot of color pencil work on this one on top of the washes, and I’m pretty happy with the color shifts I was able to achieve that way. I’ll probably continue to experiment with the use of the colored pencils and acrylics in the future, to see if I can do other cool stuff with them that I’d like.
See full post here: jaanaheiska.com/blog2014-01-12.