Hare Final Mixed Media

Project moving forward! I thought I had this thing going pretty well after I finished the owl, but I had an unfortunate problem as I moved on to browns: I hate every brown ink I have, and I have them all. Hate is maybe a bit of a strong word, more accurately my stable brown is missing. What I’d like to have is a purplish/reddish dark brown, but seems that’s not an ink pigment. All the brown pigments available are either green or orange in tint, none red. Consequently I had trouble deciding on the color scheme, as my color roughs proved completely useless in light of the pigments I had. Once I empty some of my ink bottles I might try doing a ready mix of reddish brown and a nice grey, to give me a bit more range.

I was a bit sad I wasn’t able to follow the path of my color rough because I liked where it was going. Once I moved on from that however I was able to come up with a color scheme that worked with what I had and looked a lot more consistent with other pieces in the series.  I also suffered from an urge to improve on my technique from the previous pictures, leading to one scrapped color versions before the final with messed up values and color.

Hare Final Mixed Media

Hare Final Mixed Media

Hare Final Mixed Media

Hare Final Mixed Media

See full post here: jaanaheiska.com/blog2014-01-09.