Earlier this week I announced the opening of my own shop on Society6 and promised to write a little help for anyone else new to it. A surprising number of things confused me at the beginning, so hopefully this article will help other people avoid the same situation!
Create an Account
You’ll need to get verified to be able to sell, that will probably take some days.
When you upload a piece of work and check the box for ”Make this artwork immediately available for sale as a gallery quality Art Print and other products” it will be for sale once you’ve uploaded it. There is no way to preview what your submission looks like before making it available for public, so here’s a few things to keep in mind:
- A white border will be added to your prints, so non-white backgrounds work best.
- When adding products several of the them use the same print files. To avoid trouble with positioning use the fabulous free templates made by Mark Scheff.
- Once the work is submitted it isn’t actually in the official Society6 shop, and no one can find it through that shop even making specific searches for your name. Only way to see the work is by having a link to your artists profile or the work itself, it showing up in “new” work for a little bit and appearing to people who follow you on their “my society” feed.
- The way you do get to the Society6 shop is have a certain minimum number of promotes (my work were added when they had 14-16 promotes) and probably after they’ve gone through manual approval. You’ll get a email telling you “Artwork Title” has been added to the Society6 shop when this happens. You get promotes from other artists on Society6, so it’s time to socialize!
There is no notification system in place, so here’s how you can find out what’s going on:
- To see if you’ve sold anything check “Account”.
- To see who’s commented on your work you need to click through your pieces (comments also show up in “my society”-tab until they get pushed down by other things in the feed).
- To see who’s promoted a piece:
- To find the the newest 24 pieces on Society6:
- You can find out who follows you by seeing the “followers” at the left bottom of your artists page. Here you can also access a list of who you follow, and work you’ve promoted.
- When you follow people their new work will appear on the news feed shown on “my society” and the work they promote is shown as a list on the right of that screen.
- In the main society6 shop if you wish to see the artists page instead of just a list of their work in the shop, click the “comment” button on any of their work, that will move you to their personal shop.
- A regular browser will probably never see your personal site, your about page or any outgoing link to your work elsewhere. Society6 is making sure users once brought in won’t get distracted and leave.
That’s it, happy selling!
See full post here: jaanaheiska.com/blog2014-01-23.